Lake Simcoe Ice Report

View Lake Simcoe Ice Report in a larger map
*For more details, warnings and disclaimers,
click here

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hard Ski



What a difference a year makes! Last year at this time on Lake Simcoe there was a thick layer of snow and skate skiing was fast. Last week's heavy snowfall has left the lake a winter wonderland of deep powder. The first half of my ski I was either in deep snow or traversing narrow snowmobile tracts. I needed lots of poll pushes to help guide my skis through the snow and narrow trails. It became a real upper body workout. Finally I skied further away from shore and found multiple snowmobile trails which I labeled as the snowmobile highway although it was still tricky to navigate. I was able to pick up my speed by straddling the two trails in a bit of a balancing act. Total ski time was around 70 minutes. It was a hard ski that pushed my cardio conditioning.



No comments:

Post a Comment