Lake Simcoe Ice Report

View Lake Simcoe Ice Report in a larger map
*For more details, warnings and disclaimers,
click here

Monday, January 24, 2011

Skiing Home From Work

Today I skied home from work. The school that I work at is only a couple of blocks away from Lake Simcoe. My goal was to walk to the Lake with my skis and ski the 7 km North from the 9th Line to Big Bay Point. Lots of obstables in my way of skiing today. The temperature this morning was a bone chilling -27 degrees Celsius! Fortunately by late afternoon it rose to a balmy -12 degrees Celsius. The wind was 25 km from the South East (at least I wasn't skiing into it). I was very concerned that I wouldn't make it to my destination before the sunset at 5:20 pm. When I got out to the Lake it begin to snow and reduced the visibility substantially. What was a clear day quickly turned into a stormy winter scene on the Lake. Other challenges included deep snow, ice fissures and oh ya, did I mention I almost went through the ice!? Check out the vlog from my trip below.
Distance= 7 km Total Time: 80 mins



No comments:

Post a Comment