Lake Simcoe Ice Report

View Lake Simcoe Ice Report in a larger map
*For more details, warnings and disclaimers,
click here

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Urban Skiing


Managed to get out skiing last week-end in Barrie even though the Lake was not frozen yet. As much as I would like to ski at Hardwood Hills Ski Resort (which I get up there when I can), getting up to a resort can be tricky when you have young children (my boys are 4 and 6 years old). I have made it a practice to find walking trails around the Barrie area where I can ski on. My favourite right now is skiing along the North shore of Lake Simcoe on the path that starts at Hooter's Restaurant and goes past Johnson's Beach. I like this path for a number of reasons.

The path is very scenic with a terrific view of Kempenfelt Bay. The path is frequented by dog walkers and runners. This helps groom the trail which makes it plausible to ski on without too much frustration. The path is long enough that you can get a decent 45 minute ski that challenges your cardio. I tend to ski their at sunrise to avoid too much traffic along the path although I find the people I run into very courteous.

No comments:

Post a Comment